My Photo
Name:
Location: Behind A Computer, somewhere in the world

I am of a rare breed - known as an INDEPENDENT THINKER. A leaning Conservative who does some pretty liberal things. An anti-conspiracy theorist; an antithesis of ignorance, elitists, and bullshit. WELCOME TO MY BLOG.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

On the subject of blood donation!


So I am slightly afraid of needles. And by slightly afraid of needles, I mean I will get a full on panic attack if I think hard enough about the tip of one penetrating my skin.

In fact, I once fainted - out cold! - after getting my navel pierced!

I have decided to suck it up and do what I have longed to do for a long time now - I am planning on becoming a blood donor.

I attempted to donate not too long ago, but turns out I am borderline (meaning I am not, but close enough to being) anemic? Go figure.

With some dietary guidelines, and a whole lot of bravery, I am preparing to donate sometime in the near future.

I am looking forward to it, and hopefully I don't faint!

Want to donate blood?

Dial 1 800 2 DONATE or drop into your local donor clinic with your photo ID ready. You need to be healthy and at least 110 pounds, and you shouldn't be on any kind on antibiotic or have had dental surgery prior to your visit. Screening includes a confidential interview in which questions about your health and donation history will be reviewed, followed up by a pin prick blood test, which measures the amount of hemoglobin in your blood. (Iron levels).

Your blood pressure and body temperature will also be tested, and you need to be at least 17 years old to donate. Donation is 100 percent non profit - the gift you give is one of the most ultimate displays of human compassion and love - and that is something you cannot put a price tag on.

I look forward to getting my iron levels adequate enough to be able to donate.

If you are temporarily deferred from blood donation for any reason, be sure to ask the nurses which steps you can take to become eligible!